Moving to the UK or EU with your pets?


Moving to the UK or EU with your pets?

Read on for a handy guide, written by the amazing team at Pawsitive Pet Health Certificates.

What your pets need and no quarantine!

When pet parents start the preparation process to travel with their pets to the United Kingdom and European Union, it can seem like an overwhelming and stressful process.

There are many different aspects for a pet parent to consider when planning their pet’s travel: How are they going to travel into the UKEU? What services and documentation are needed to be eligible for entry?

How to plan out the timing for their pet’s preparation to be completed in time for their travel day? These are all important puzzle pieces that need to fit together in order for a pet to be able to enter the UKEU successfully.

If one of these pieces is incomplete or incorrect, a pet may be denied entry or may face a government quarantine, which can be emotionally and financially taxing for any pet parent. The first step in preparing a pet for travel to the UKEU is to start the process as soon as possible! You can never start this process too early, but you should always allow a minimum of 2 months prior to your travel date to ensure your pet will meet the requirements for travel and to have the ideal appointment dates secured with your veterinarian.

USDA-endorsed Health Certificate

To obtain a USDA-endorsed health certificate and qualify for entry into the UKEU, your pet will need the following:

ISO-Compliant Microchip:

The UK and Europe require all pets to have a microchip implanted prior to a 1-year primary rabies vaccine.

Pets must have an ISO-compliant microchip for travel.  A compliant microchip has 15 digits – an easy way for you to check.

  • If your pet does not have a 15-digit microchip, you will need to get one implanted before travel. It is okay if the ISO-compliant microchip is implanted after the rabies vaccine as long as their first microchip was implanted before their rabies.
  • If your pet has two microchips, both microchips must be listed on the rabies certificate and health certificate.

Rabies Vaccine:

The UK and EU require all pets to have a current rabies vaccine administered at least 21 days before arrival and less than 1 year prior to travel.

  • If your pet is in the 2nd or 3rd year of a 3-year rabies vaccine, you will need to provide proof of their full rabies vaccination certificates, dating back to their microchip implantation and primary rabies vaccine, to show that there has been no lapse in vaccinations. The first rabies vaccine given after the microchip is implanted is only considered valid for 1 year.

Rabies Certificate:

All rabies certificates must include the following to be valid for entry and accepted by the USDA for endorsement:

  • Pet’s general information: name, breed description, microchip number(s), DOB.
  • Full vaccine product information: it must list the name of the vaccine and the name of the manufacturer.
  • Veterinary clinic address and phone number where the rabies vaccine was given.
  • Name and signature of the veterinarian who administered the rabies vaccine.

Applying for the USDA-endorsed Health Certificate

Your pet’s health certificate must be endorsed by the USDA within 10 days of travel to the UKEU.

Your vet will examine your pet and submit their health certificate to the USDA for endorsement.  The USDA will then ship the health certificate to you before the departure day.

The UK, Ireland, and a few other countries also require all dogs to be dewormed for tapeworm (Echinococcus multilocularis) within 5 days of entry. Once you have your signed rabies certificate and USDA-endorsed health certificate, your pet is ready for the big day!

Booking your Flight

The last puzzle piece is booking your pet’s flight.  Fortunately, K9 JETS has made it easy for pet parents to travel with their pets comfortably and safely.

K9 JETS not only offers a luxurious way for you and your best friend to be able to travel, but they also will take care of getting your pets pre-approved with the country’s customs clearance. When your pet meets the criteria, has the required documentation, and you fly with K9 JETS, you will have a smooth and non-stressful travel experience!

Pawsitive Pet Health Certificates (PPHC) If you’re still unsure about the requirements or are looking for a solution to help take care of the documentation, K9 JETS has partnered with the health certificate experts at PPHC to work with you and your vet to make sure your pet is correctly prepared and has the necessary paperwork for travel.

Please don’t hesitate to get in touch to discuss your needs further

With K9 Jets and PPHC in your corner, you can rest assured your pets are in the best paws every step of the way!